Fertility health check

Get off to a good start

If you’d like to make sure you have the best chance of fulfilling your dream of becoming a parent, make an appointment to speak with a City Fertility specialist.

At your first consultation, your specialist will take a thorough medical history from you and your partner (if applicable) and perform any relevant examinations. The specialist will use this information to provide you with the best options to maximise your chance of conceiving a baby.

Your specialist will want to discuss things such as your menstrual cycle, how long you have been trying to conceive, lifestyle factors, and whether you have had any previous fertility treatment. Both partners (if applicable) are encouraged to attend this appointment.



If you have had investigations ordered by your GP, it is important to make it known to your specialist before the first consultation so that these can be accessed. Most of these do not need to be repeated. Some tests are ordered to ensure you are ready for pregnancy, while others assess the specific cause of your fertility problem. These tests may include:

Female fertility tests

  • Common blood tests include follicular phase (early cycle) sex hormones (estrogen, luteinising hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and thyroid stimulating hormone).
  • There is another blood test which predicts ovarian reserve, called the anti-Mullerian hormone (AMH), which is often done with an antral follicle count (AFC), via an ultrasound scan. AMH is a hormone produced by ovarian follicles that contain eggs. The level of AMH gives an indication of the ovarian activity in a month, or the number of eggs being produced (ovarian reserve).
  • A pelvic ultrasound scan is performed to check the pelvic anatomy and exclude ovarian cysts. A hysterosalpingogram (HSG) is an X-ray dye study that will check the uterine cavity and exclude blockage of the fallopian tubes. This can also be done with a saline sonohysterogram, which is a specialised type of ultrasound scan.

Male fertility tests

  • A “sperm count” is also known as a seminal fluid  (semen) assesment. It looks at the sperm concentration, motility (ability to swim) and morphology (shape). This test is generally referred to as a semen assesment.
  • An abnormal blood count may require blood tests such as FSH, LH and testosterone.
  • Depending on your history and the results of the initial tests, your treating doctor may request a sperm DNA fragmentation test or a testicular biopsy. For more information about these tests, please visit our page on Sperm test and semenassesment.


When to seek advice

At City Fertility, we recommend you seek medical advice from your GP or a specialist if you have not conceived after 12 months of trying, or after six months of trying if you are over the age of 35.

There are also other instances where you might want to seek earlier fertility advice. These include: early menopause; polycystic ovaries; irregular or non-existent menstruation; history of endometriosis; when either you are or your partner is a current or past cancer patient; or when the male partner has had a vasectomy.

You and your partner will require a referral from your GP to see one of City Fertility’s specialists.

Our friendly, caring staff share the same goal – to maximise your chance of conceiving a baby.




    I have read and agree to the terms of City Fertility's Privacy Collection Statement and Privacy Policy.



    City Fertility network