Dr Matthew Lau
MBBS, MMED (OG), MRCOG, FRANZCOG
- Knox Private Hospital
Consulting Suites, 262 Mountain Hwy, Wantirna , VIC 3152
Level 1, Suite 1, 240 Plenty Road, Uni Hill, Bundoora, VIC 3083
City Fertility patients can expect the utmost quality of care from Dr Matthew Lau, whose considerable skills and experience are complemented by a passion to help people realise their dream of parenthood.
Dr Lau works primarily in:
- IVF and fertility care.
- Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery.
Dedicated to providing individualised patient treatment that exceeds expectations, Dr Lau draws on a vast bank of knowledge amassed over decades of work not only in Australia but also in the UK and Asia.
Currently a staff specialist in obstetrics and gynaecology at Monash Health, he graduated from the University of Melbourne in 2000 and trained in his chosen field with KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital in Singapore.
In 2007, he attained both the specialist degree of Master of Medicine (O&G) from Singapore and membership of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (UK). Two years later, he underwent training in reproductive medicine with Professor John McBain at the Royal Women’s Hospital in Melbourne. In 2013, Dr Lau travelled to Denmark to work with Professor Claus Yding Anderson on fertility preservation and cryopreservation of ovarian tissue.
Since returning to Australia in 2015, Dr Lau has worked at Monash Health and Women’s at Sandringham. In 2016, he became a Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists.
Besides general obstetrics and gynaecology practice, Dr Lau’s passion lies in fertility treatment and advanced keyhole (laparoscopic) surgery. He also has accumulated many years of experience in laparoscopy, myomectomy, cystectomy, tubal reversal, and endometriosis surgery.
He has extensive fertility-related experience as a lecturer, co-author of research publications, and guest speaker at conferences.
Dr Lau is committed to exceptional patient care as he strives to give people the best chance of having a child. He believes every patient is different and requires individualised management. He enjoys communicating with patients, coordinating their care with the interdisciplinary team. Dr Lau also believes that a humble, gentle and patient approach will result in a more effective and desirable outcome.
Awards and achievements:
- Various awards for exemplary performance.
- Singapore Health Quality Service Award (Gold).
- Consultant for the Department of Reproductive Medicine, KKIVF Centre – one of the largest IVF centres in Singapore – since 2009.
- Active involvement in teaching and service as an Adjunct Assistant Professor at Duke University, National University of Singapore Graduate Medical School, and Assistant Professor for Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine, NTU, Singapore.
- Teacher of junior medical colleagues at Monash Health.
Dr Lau is also a member of the:
- (Fellow) Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists.
- Australasian Gynaecological Endoscopy and Surgery Society.
- Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (UK).
- Obstetricians and Gynaecologists Society (Singapore).
- Monash Health Maternity GP Shared Care Committee.
Other languages spoken: Mandarin, Indonesian and Malay.
Get to know your doctor
- I grew up in… A small town in Malaysia called Sibu at Borneo island. Those were the times when fertility issues were almost unheard of, as people were embarrassed to seek help. With increased awareness and advances in fertility treatment, couples can be blessed with a precious lifetime gift that they desire. I am proud to be part of the team to make this possible.
- I start my day… Having a good breakfast. The rest of the day can sometimes become unpredictable and having a good start, helps me boost my energy to last throughout the day.
- When I am not working… I love playing badminton or having a cup of coffee and reading.
- I wish I could… Help more people achieve their goal of starting a family. The goal is to make fertility treatment user-friendly and convenient to all patients.
- Most people don’t know that… I love adventures like scuba diving, skydiving, flying planes.
- My favourite holiday spot is… Australia, great nature for camping and trekking.
- When I was growing up, I wanted to be… A pilot, to be able to fly. Throughout the years, I learnt that the aviation industry shares lots of similarities with health care. For instance, we need a team of nurses, scientists and technicians to deliver excellent health care to patients. A robust health-care industry also depends on proper design and policy to manage risk and reduce human error. Patient safety and satisfaction is paramount in the delivery of today’s health care.
- My greatest achievement is… A loving wife and 2 children.
- The one person I would have liked to have met is… Sir Robert Edwards, who is the father of IVF and Nobel Prize winner for the development of IVF. His work is the foundation for what we are doing today. He inspired us, clinicians, to partake in research to bring fertility treatment one step further, in patient care and success.
- The best advice my parents gave me was… Be humble and gentle in everything you do.
If you would like more information on Dr Lau, please visit his website: www.mlobgyn.com.
Take the first step towards parenthood
Book a time to meet with one of our specialists